Korean beef bulgogi meets pasta with a dash of garlic infused oil.
In the TV show Kang’s Kitchen: Season 3 (2019), famous Korean comedian Kang Ho Dong and the crew of celebrities opens up a pop-up restaurant in Gyeongju, Korea. The theme of the restaurant becomes slightly Italian when they bring in a huge pizza oven! This means more fusion of Italian and Korean with the pizza which results in Bulgogi pasta! Famously known as “Kang Bul Pa” short for “Kang ho do Bulgogi Pasta”.
Celebrity chef Baek Jong Won comes to help Kang Ho Dong with the recipe and has him hustling around the kitchen to get the dishes out faster. Kang bul pa is very easy to make. There’s no real recipe that has been shared by the TV because the sauce is made in batch and involves some general tossing in of ingredients but there’s a lot of recipes online in Korean blogs and this variation is easy, delicious and follows the steps Kang Ho Dong made during the show!
How to make
The pasta is just a simple combination of Korean salty and sweet bulgogi that is a simplified version of the traditional recipe toss with some (good) olive oil infused with garlic and green onions. Make sure to use good olive oil! This is the base of the sauce and will make a difference! In the show, Kang Ho Dong uses fresh spaghetti-like noodles but I went with linguine because that’s usually my preference. Whatever you decide to use, it should be good!
and some photos from the show!
cooking the garlic and green onions in the oil
Kang Ho Dong so focused on plating
High-five for delicious success!!
The shock because it’s so good. Wow.
Bulgogi Pasta - Kang's Kitchen
- 100 g (4 oz) dried linguine 1 serving pasta
- 80 g (2.8 oz) thin sliced beef ribeye, top sirloin
- 5 Tbsp olive oil good quality!
- 6 garlic cloves minced or sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 3 dried red peppers split in half
- parmesan cheese shredded, to taste
- 2 ½ Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp mirim
- Prep the meat. Pat the beef brisket with a paper towel to get rid of some of the redness from the raw meat.
- Make the sauce. Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and set side.
- Cook the pasta. Bring large pot of water with a dash of salt to a boil. Once boiling, add in the pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 2 minutes less than package directions.
- Save about 5 Tbsp of pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta.
- In the meantime, add in the olive oil, garlic and chopped green onions in a medium sized frying pan. Turn on the heat to medium. Stirfry until the garlic and green onion becomes lightly browned. Add in the dried spicy pepper. Continue to cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the beef. Make sure the beef is not sticking to each other. Continue to cook until the meat is nearly cooked through, about 90%.
- Pour the sauce into the frying pan. Stir. Add in the pasta. Stir constantly. Pour in the reserved pasta water. Stir constantly for a minute.
- Plate the noodles! Top with some shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply